Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > General Specs and Technical Details
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Intelligent Key Risk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intelligent Key Risk
    Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 5:39pm
On Watchdog this week they highlighted a growing problem of car thieves 'cloning' intelligent keys and driving away the vehicle.

Its particularly rife in London where top of the range models from Range Rover, BMW and Audi are being taken.  Apparently some owners have had insurance refused because of the growing problem.   ConfusedConfused

Although Nissan was not mentioned, its a risk to all types of intelligent keys.

Anyone know if Nissan has made any comment on this problem or warned owners of the risk?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29786320

Edited by Doug999 - 01 Nov 2014 at 5:41pm
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 11:04pm
Been a lot on it this week, tbh its nothing new, I remember when remote locking 1st became popular news articles about theives having a device that could intercept the signal from the key & duplicate it so when the owner locked the car & walked away the thief could then unlock it -  though back then he would then have to break the ignition & hotwire the car.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 9:05am
Been raised elsewhere here.

As much as we love them I doubt that a Qashqai is such a tempting target. The luxury cars you mention are stolen to order and apparently are spirited out of the country within the hour.

If there was an issue with the Qashqai then I guess we would see some insurance companies refusing cover.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 10:17am
The encryption is not the same and while we can never say never to date there have been no reports of Nissan I-Key mis-use.

The BBC report also highlights that it is cars with older version of the software at risk.
Mainly found at an office chair these days
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic