Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Wheels and Tyres
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nokian Winter Tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nokian Winter Tyres
    Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 1:22pm
Hi,

I'm planning on fitting some winter tyres to my 1.5 dCi N-Tec 2WD. Confused

I've done a bit of research & like the look of the Nokian WR SUV 3 which are available in 215/60/R17 which is correct for my Qashqai.
Does anyone have any experience of Nokian Winter tyres? Are they good, or should I be looking for something else?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers, Smile
YorkshireMan.

Edited by YorkshireMan - 14 Nov 2013 at 1:51pm
Its no good pointing at it on the shelf sir. If the computer says we haven't got it, then we haven't got it.
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 2:31pm
Never heard of them, but looking on MyTyres they appear comparable to the likes of Pirelli Scorpion Winter.... and 2/3 the price. 
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
YorkshireMan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 4:10pm
Cheers, that's what I thought. Wink

Apparently they're made in Finland at Europe's Northernmost tyre manufacturer. 
They should have enough snow over there to 'try them out' on. Smile

YorkshireMan.
Its no good pointing at it on the shelf sir. If the computer says we haven't got it, then we haven't got it.
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by YorkshireMan YorkshireMan wrote:

Cheers, that's what I thought.Wink

Appa<span style="line-height: 1.4;">rently they're made in Finland at Europe's Northernmost tyre manufacturer.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">They should have enough snow over there to 'try them out' on.</span>Smile

YorkshireMan.

Very good tyres. Nokian really knows how to make tyres, especially winter tyres ;)

They could also be manufactured in Russia. Nokian has a factory there.

And yes, it formerly was part of the well know mobile brand soon to be part of Microsoft :)
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 12:10pm
http://tires.about.com/od/buyers_guide/tp/Top-5-Dedicated-Studless-Snow-Tires.htm .
worth a read perhaps.Wink
Northern america/canada site rate some nokian winter tyres as class leaders , both they and our scandanavian cousins know a lot about winter driving conditions.
I would be happy to use Nokians myself.
white renault kadjar , 1.5d. As Fee puts it- Qashqai hasbeen!!!! now Nissan hasbeen 2,
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the link sadsod.
Really interesting.
I'm a lot more confident about the Nokians I've chosen now, which should be fitted Mon/Tues next week. 
This is providing I can get to the fitting station in the snow that's forecast. Wacko
Cheers,
YorkshireMan. Smile
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 1:36pm
Just curious - are winter tyres really worth it in the UK? Ok we may have one or two icy/snowy days each winter, but in 25 years of driving I've never really had a problem with bog standard tyres.
Tekna View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 2:50pm
If you apply the logic of there are only a couple of really grim days per year when you might need them then the answer would be 'no' - clearly they are not strictly required because you have probably driven for years without them and never had a problem.

However, the average person only crashes their car once every 5 years and yet the vast majority opt to wear their seat belt for every journey. They do this despite being able to look back and realise they didn't technically need it; and of course the reason they do it is because they don't know which journey in the future will be the one where they have an accident.

As you are probably aware winter tyres work better for cold temperatures in general (sub 7 degrees commonly quoted), so its not restricted to snow and its false to think they afford much protection on ice (chains and studs where legal are best for that).

Personally i run winter tyres - why? Primarily for the same reason i wear a seat belt ie I don't know with any certainty which day I may be presented with a scenario where having additional braking capability saves my life. Since the cost of running a second set of wheels can be small (if sensibly sourced and stored) then, for very little extra cost, I afford myself, my family and other people on the roads a reduced risk of being in an accident.

Like anything of this kind, you just have to weigh up risk vs reward - there is no right nor wrong.

2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 11:05pm
One thing. Tell your insurance - they can be funny about Winter tyres.

Personally if I fitted them I would not be fitting them to standard wheels. I'd go and buy a set of steel rims of an appropriate size and fit the tyres to them. Much easier to swap over and if you slip into a curb you'll buckle a 20 quid rim, not a 300 quid one. Also you can choose narrower tyres, which are cheaper and supposedly better in certain conditions.

Whether you "Need" them a lot depends on whether you live in Bournemouth, or John O'Groats. And whether you drive every day for work, or just once a week to go shopping. And all points in between, of course.
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 12:50am
Yes all down to personal choice, slipped slithered and struggled to get home many times over my driving life, reckon that 3 or 4 times i was lucky to get home unscathed ,steered my works van into a lamp post rather than slide out onto a busy road at rush hour. Nearly skidded of A83 in pitch dark coming back from Islay steering round a car that spun out ahead of me -but I was younger /dafter back then.Embarrassed
Two winters ago returning from Glasgow to west lothian in heavy snowfall ,decided the M8 was to slippy and had far too many speed at any risk nutters going east, left motorway near Shotts, used gears to slow down and then hit a real bad patch just where it met B7066 ,slid out onto the road Shockedalthough managed to steer QQ in right direction and nothing was coming down the hill.
Lesson for me -felt lucky to be alive and decided not to let the price of a set of tyres +rims stand between me, my mrs and being a bit safer on the roads -dont expect miracles just a better chance of being in control.( OK your motor  must be insured but its still a sizable investment for many people)
Yes if I am at home and it snows then I have the luxury of staying putApprove and for me the peace of mind and a bit better grip in icey conditions  is worth it.
Down to personal choice ,no one is forcing us to use winter tyres but some parts of Europe do I am lead to believe.

whatever you do / dont do wish you luck and safe journeys always.
   Sadsod
white renault kadjar , 1.5d. As Fee puts it- Qashqai hasbeen!!!! now Nissan hasbeen 2,
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 6:02pm
My current QQ is my first 2WD car for about 14 years.
Before this I owned a Nissan Patrol GR SVE which in my opinion is one of the very best & most capable 4WD vehicles ever. I bought this after spending a week in the Sahara in one where it was pushed much harder & further that I ever believed any vehicle could be.

Before this I owned a Terrano.

You can probably understand me being a bit apprehensive about my first 'proper winter' in a 2WD QQ. Being in a 'medical profession' I have no option but to get to work & am just hoping that the 2WD QQ will cope. Hence trying ti find the best possible Winter Tyres. 

I'll see how the Nokian WR SUV 3 work out & let you know after I've tried them on snow & ice.

Cheers, Smile
YorkshireMan.
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 6:11pm
i drove for 2 winters on Yokohama winters and was very happy with them. Transpires though that my load rating on the tyre was wrong. Was H instead of V.. felt lucky that no accidents happened as Imay not have been insured!!!???
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011..1.6Dig-T Tekna 2018
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 6:55pm
The tyres on my QQ at the moment are the ones fitted when I bought it from a Nissan dealer. They are Bridgestone Dueler 215/60/R17 96H. Are these incorrect? 
Confused YorkshireMan.
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 7:17pm
I am sure these tyres are correct. It tells you on the drivers door post what wheels/tyres are suitable. It is the 215/55/R18 that need to be the 99V load index for the 18" wheels.
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 7:17pm
can only give you a partial answer The letter H or V indicate max speed rating of tyre ,winter tyres are often a lower speed rating with the caution to "never exceed max speed rated for tyre" 
 http://www.blackcircles.com/general/speedrating.
The other  figure is the tyre load rating is more important and is also explained in above link.

Sorry but as i dont have my QQ any moreCry I can say about correct load rating but one of the mods or experienced members will be able to shed some light .
all the best Sadsod

ps . stick your reg number in on the black circles site and see what they say. I put my reg in and it came up with  215/60R17 H 96 which I think was correct Big smile

Edited by sadsod - 17 Nov 2013 at 11:31am
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2013 at 8:05pm
Mine were 215/55/18 95H Yokohama w drive902's

On winters i was told you could go down one speed rating but noone told me you couldnt go down 1 load rating!!!

I think yours should be Okay.... Just make sure you tell your insurance!!

I made a foul up....

Edited by Fee - 16 Nov 2013 at 8:06pm
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011..1.6Dig-T Tekna 2018
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 11:08am
Thanks for all the advice.
Really helpful.
I'll phone my insurance tomorrow to let them know.
Cheers, Big smile
YorkshireMan.
drk_ttp View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drk_ttp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 12:59am
I have to say I have put winter tyres on my cars and wife's for the last 4 years and I have to say I couldn't imagine not putting them on between Oct and March.

Ok ok we don't get meters of snow like Nordic countries but when we do have some we often grind right down in the uk. Not with these tyres. You just keep going, often so effortless you wouldn't know. The tyres are also great in the wet, frost and ice.

Now a qq question help needed pls.....I also am thinking of some nokian tyres but wanted steel rims which I can only find as 16 inch.

Is it ok for me to drop to 16s with a +2 TEKNA auto AWD ie 215/65r16 98H ?? The label on the driver door suggests so but I have read various things so any help most grateful. Can those wheels take the added weight of auto and awd?

Thanks

****I contributed***
Berny21 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berny21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 7:35am
Hi drk,
I have just put my winter tires on my QQ+2 and was very grateful to this site for a lot of the chat and advice before arriving at my final decision.

After reading all the test results I ended up putting the Bridgestone Blizzaks on, with an ALU wheel 215/65/16. This is the size on the car reg, but as you all know not the standard fitted.

All the dealers told me this was the size I should get. They also told me NOT to get steels as the load was too great. So I took their advice and went with the Alus. Plus they do look better.

The Nokians got very good test results, but in the end the Blizzaks got better ratings in the WET, so I went with them.

Hope that helps.

QQ+2 1.6 360
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 5:56pm
Hi Berny,
I looked at the Bridgestones as well & they do look really good.

The Nokian WR SUV 3 are a new tyre & appear to have excellent capability for wet as well as snow/ice conditions. They were apparently the "winner of the 2013 Winter Tyre test of German SUV magazine OFF ROAD."
They are a bit 'new' to have a lot of 'user reviews' but the link to the Nokian website for more information about these tyres is below: -

Four of these tyres, fully fitted, from www.myres.co.uk cost 475 for the 215/60/R17 96H size. 
This is the 'type' stated on the panel inside the driver's door so shouldn't cause any 'insurance issues.'

Only problem is that my 4 tyres are currently still in Germany & are expected at the 'Mytyres Fitting Partner' garage by 25th Nov. It's quite probably going to snow before then. Unhappy 

Cheers,
YorkshireMan.
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 6:36pm
Let us know how you get on with them.

I've never had Winter Tyres, generally a more expensive all season one and (touch wood) they've served me well... sadly they don't make my size in it any more o i need to hunt around for any in stock or search for something new.
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 7:58pm
I ordered from Mytyres 0n 7/11/13  and dpd delivered them 1630 on the 11th, so was really pleased with their delivery service.
Hope all goes well.
Sadsod
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 9:43pm
I really recommend winter tyres. They do make a huge difference!!!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 10:19pm
Hi SadSod,

I noticed your foot-note: -

"gunmetal, 1.5dci Acenta now morphed into a Black Note. As Fee puts it- Qashqai hasbeen!!!!" 

I had a Nissan Note on loan for a few weeks in March when my QQ was in for repair following a timing belt breakage requiring complete engine replacement. (Previous post, long story. See in 'Faults & Fixes' if you're interested)

Anyway, back to the point - the Note was a superb car, thoroughly impressed! Very 'driveable.'

Not sure what sort of tyres it had.

I was almost sorry to hand it back.

Cheers,  Wink

YorkshireMan.

sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 12:25am
hi YorkshireMan,  had a Note before prior to the 2 QQs ,like the room inside ,got E11 run out model and it feels bigger than the new E12 fiesta shape. Hit a financial iceberg (like many people) and downsized rather quickly but thats the way the cards fell for now.Wink
 I miss the ground clearance and a few other things. I was lucky to find a new home for my QQ winter wheels and that sale has financed new winters for the note, to get the QQ wheels under the note would have been fun but needed welding gear and spacersLOL
still hanging about in here , Note forum not a patch on this place with a few exceptions . Glad to have been of assistance.
last note was black and Mrs chose same again so some people think its still the same car-lol.
all the best  Sadsod
Abh29 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abh29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 5:16pm
Just had set of Michelin A4 Alpine 215/55R16   98H supplied & fitted at Lobitos in North Wales 440 all in a good deal. Bought wheels off ebay for 150 so all up cost 590  Also run Conti Winters T830P on 225/55R16 BMW just put back on having done 18,000 miles rears still have 7mm but front on 5mm (will be renewed at 4mm) but great considering mileage. They are a great tyre in snow and wet  Could not get the Conti's in QQ size.
Brian
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 10:25pm
Big smile sounds good there Abh29, you could run the 4mm tyres  for a  few months spring/autumn and get your moneys worth and extend your summers  tyre lifeWink .

Edited by sadsod - 19 Nov 2013 at 10:25pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 5:15pm
Just driven home after having the Nokian WR SUV 3 tyres fitted.
It's taken 6 days from order to fitting from the Mytyres website. Not bad seeing as how the tyres were in store in Germany & there was a weekend in the middle of all this. 

Nothing much to report yet as conditions were clear & dry on the way home so their 'winter' properties weren't really tested. However, handling did feel very secure & predictable in the dry. Noticeably better that the nearly worn out Bridgestones that they have replaced. I suppose this is to be expected from any new tyres.

I know I probably sound a bit of a 'geek' for saying this but they do look superb. Embarrassed

I'll let you know how they perform just as soon as the weather turns nasty.

Cheers, Big smile
YorkshireMan.   
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 7:08pm
All good then!!!!!!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 3:18am
Hi Folks,

I've finally figured out just how effective my new Nokian WR SUV 3 Winter Tyres really are.
It seems that that all you have to do is buy a set & the weather simply refuses to snow! Wink

How's that for value? Thumbs Up

YorkshireMan   
Safetyman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:11pm
Was into Nissan dealer to ask about winter tyres sorry guys front wheel drive why do i need on the rear as well, serious question?
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 9:49pm
You need them on all 4 wheels, Simply because you don't want the situation where one axle slides more easily than the other, or the car would spin.

Safetyman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 10:19am
Thanks for the answer greatly appreciated
VovaTuf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VovaTuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by YorkshireMan YorkshireMan wrote:

I've finally figured out just how effective my new Nokian WR SUV 3 Winter Tyres really are.

Originally posted by Safetyman Safetyman wrote:

Was into Nissan dealer to ask about winter tyres sorry guys front wheel drive why do i need on the rear as well, serious question?
1. to properly brakes.
2. not to slide the rear wheels sideways.
Fired iron Cat(Qashqai) 2008 Navi-Pack 2.0l petrol 4WD CVT
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 8:46pm
Nokian WR SUV 3 tyres have now been 'retired' until next winter. No snow this year so all 4 of them are  bit disappointed. Cry

These have now been replaced by new alloys & a full set of Nokian HT SUV Summer Tyres for the nice weather.

Great value at 690 delivered to the door from Mytyres for 4 X Dezent Alloys with 4 X 215/60/R17 tyres fully fitted. Smile

Happy with that!
YorkshireMan.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic