Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Wheels and Tyres
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nokian Winter Tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 9:57pm
Finally a report on the Nokian WR SUV 3 in 215/60/R17 on real snow.
Drove last night about 20 miles during the worst of the new snow & again today on compacted snow & ice.
The South Yorkshire/Sheffield area was quite badly hit by the weather for several hours.
No complaints whatsoever with the performance of my 2 WD Qashqai with these tyres. For years before I bought the Qashqai I owned a Nissan Patrol $X$. That was 'second to nothing' in snow but tbh, the Qashqai with the Nokian Winter Tyres did everything during this recent weather that I would have expected from the Patrol. 
No hint of traction loss, stable & secure cornering & despite deliberate attempts to slide on braking, (in a safe place) no appreciable sliding before stopping. The Qashqai with these tyres felt much better than some of the 4X4s that I have driven in snow with 'normal' tyres. 
From my limited experiences yesterday & today, I would say that the Nokian tyres fully back up the theory that a good front wheel drive car with high quality winter tyres is better in snow than a 4X4 with standard fit summer tyres.    
Cheers, Smile
YorkshireMan.
Its no good pointing at it on the shelf sir. If the computer says we haven't got it, then we haven't got it.
VovaTuf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VovaTuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:51am
We have 4 months of the year the roads are covered with ice and snow :) (most snowiest month is February).
Many cars playfully is spinning at area before supermarkets - learn to control drift in and learn to out of a skid - snow flies up and the cars playfully going sideways - very nice :)
Experienced a lot of different winter tires as studded and without stud (friction).
Nokian is regarded as one of the best.
Now I use Gislaved NF100 - too good. A bit noisy, but tolerable.
Of course winter tires is very important for the car. Much more important than 4wd.
Fired iron Cat(Qashqai) 2008 Navi-Pack 2.0l petrol 4WD CVT
F1 Bob View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F1 Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:53am
I read an article comparing 2wd and 4wd and 2wd with winter tyres was better than 4wd on normal tyres. Of couse a 4x4 on winter tyres is going to be better. Nokian are top quality tyres made in Norway and used in most Scandanavian countries.
I have a set of 17" Nissan alloys with Dunlop Sport 4D winter tyres and are very good in rain, standing water and mud but no snow to test them yet although they have a very good snow rating. These go on end November until end March and the dealer stores the standard wheels for us.
Tekna 1.5dCi in Nightshade
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 12:28pm
I've heard good things about the Nokian tyres, including from someone who lived in Norway.

Winter tyres, as opposed to studded snow tyres, are designed for use whenever the temperature drops below 6C.

Studded snow tyres are definitely only for when the roads are all covered in snow. I think you can be fined by the police in some countries you use them at other times.

2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic