Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Wheels and Tyres
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tyre rotation - yes or no?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tyre rotation - yes or no?
    Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 1:12pm
I fitted a full set of 18" tyres last April, as you'd expect the rear look almost new and the front are now maybe 1/3rd worn.

Was going to swap the front and rear as I normally do (labourious, take off one, put on spare, take off next and so on)... As I'd spent over £500 on them less than 12 months ago, I popped into Kwik Fit to see if they'd do me a favour and just swap the front and rear around to even out the wear.   They told me this is against their current policy so no.

http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-rotation.asp

Many tyre manufacturers agree that it is no longer good practice to rotate your tyres in order to extend their legal life. The reasons for this are;

Partly worn tyres are more likely to experience punctures – particularly in wet weather conditions.
Front tyre deflation will create an under-steer effect which is easier to control than over-steer (the effect produced by a rear tyre deflation)
In the unlikely event that a tyre deflates suddenly, then it is easier to control the vehicle if this occurs at the front of the vehicle. For improved handling and stability it is now recommended that the ‘best’ tyres should always be fitted at the rear of the vehicle. This is irrespective of whether the car is front or rear wheel drive.

Because of this at Kwik Fit we do not recommend tyre rotation and we do recommend fitting your best tyres at the rear of the vehicle. If you are replacing a single tyre then this should be paired with the rear with the tyre having the most tread depth.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are? The cynic in me thinks they're just saying this so I'd have to fork out for 2 more tyres much quicker than if I'd rotate them!
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 1:57pm
Sounds like a ruse to sell more rubber, however............................if tyres wear unevenly across their width (i.e. one edge) would that affect handling when put on the opposite corner? Ermm

BTW - you've worn 1/3 off your fronts in less than a year?  how many miles have you done?  I sold QQ1 and QQ2 with 30k+ and no real visible tyre wear. Geek

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Sounds like a ruse to sell more rubber, however............................if tyres wear unevenly across their width (i.e. one edge) would that affect handling when put on the opposite corner? Ermm

BTW - you've worn 1/3 off your fronts in less than a year?  how many miles have you done?  I sold QQ1 and QQ2 with 30k+ and no real visible tyre wear. Geek

About 12K.   The first set were almost bald after 24K, so I thought 1/3 after 12K was quite good! Maybe it's the fact you had a 4WD?

It was the 18" Continental Contact 2
sandman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 2:53pm
I just traded in QQ1 with 36k on it still on original tyres albeit the fronts will need replacing soon,and mine was 4wd.
2014 Pearl Black Qashqai Premier Limited Edition 1.6Dci 4WD.
2016 Pearl White X-Trail N-Tec.2018 1.6dci Tekna 4wd Qashqai gunmetal grey.
YorkshireMan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 6:06pm
Sounds like complete 'Crap' from Kwikfit to me. This goes against generations of good tyre advice. 

The drive wheels will usually wear down faster than the other set, particularly if the drive wheels are at the front. Unless you are happy to replace partly worn tyres with new ones, It makes simple common sense to swap front & rear tyres round to even out the wear once the drive wheels become worn beyond a certain point.

The only factor to watch out for is that if the tyres are omni-directional, the correct rotation direction MUST be maintained when the front & rear are swapped. So, if the whole wheels are being swapped front to back, keep the wheels at the same side. 

Cheers, Smile
YorkshireMan.
Its no good pointing at it on the shelf sir. If the computer says we haven't got it, then we haven't got it.
YorkshireMan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 6:21pm
P.S. Also make sure that the correct Front/Rear tyre pressures are maintained.
YorkshireMan.
Its no good pointing at it on the shelf sir. If the computer says we haven't got it, then we haven't got it.
crolandc View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crolandc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 6:26pm
What YorkshireMan said, tells you in the handbook to swap em front to back on the same side, this must be because of the omni-directional thing. Allways swap my wheels round...many dozens of times in my driving life, still here. 
2010 n-tec mineral grey.
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 8:46am
Cheers for the responses, as I said in the OP I normally do this, have done for 20+ years so know what I'm doing, just got a bit lazy with a sore back so thought I'd try and get them to do it as I bought them from there.
Bit shocked by their response really.

Especially as I've now found the British Tyre Manufacturers association view:

http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/New%20Replacing%20Car%20Tyres%2016%20Sep%202013.pdf

Reviewed 16th September 2013 so it's up to date.

As a secondary benefit for the owners of low annual mileage front wheel drive cars, the switching of the partly worn rear tyres to the front, enabling the new tyres to be fitted to the rear, creates a cycle which helps prevent their deterioration due to ageing/prolonged exposure. The rear tyres wear relatively slowly and leaving them in their original positions for a prolonged period can result in the need to replace them before they are significantly worn

I hate Kwik-Fit. Only went there because they had the 25% off Continental at the time.

Edited by chrisw99 - 05 Feb 2014 at 8:47am
crolandc View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crolandc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 10:32am
It really is a no brainer isn't it! I also tend to steer clear of them Chris. 
2010 n-tec mineral grey.
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 11:51pm
here in Cambridge I use a tiny little independent company called C&R Tyres... they're in an old tin shed down a dirt track in a small trading estate. They always manage to be cheaper than anywhere else, perhaps because their overheads are lower. I see a fair number of taxis there.

when we get our cars serviced, we use a company called Weld-it, another small independent trader, he's honest and doesn't try and talk you into unnecessary work. For example, Ford wanted to replace the entire drive shaft to fix an ABS sensor problem, costing maybe £500 all in, but Weldit procured the sensors and fitted them for significantly under £100 all in.

2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by SplanK SplanK wrote:

Controversially, I don't, and have never done.... my reason for this is if you rotate them, then you may end up in a situation where all 4 need doing at the same time. Buying all 4 tyres is quite a costly affair and I like to even this out.

Well it's over a year since I started the thread. At that point, my tyres were a year old and the front ones had worn a bit and the back ones hardly at all.

I rotated them, a year on I would say the front is about 50% worn and the back hardly changed.

So I guess I'll now change the front in a few months time, give them a few months then change the other pair and rotate.

If I hadn't, I think I would have had to have changed the front set by now

Edited by chrisw99 - 13 Mar 2015 at 1:54pm
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 1:56pm
Yep, when my fronts are worn, I replace them and get them put onto the back, and the backs then become the front.

This ensures that the rear tyres don't become excessively aged (tyres can last an awful long time on the rear and can exceed their 'use by' date easily!

I don't swap them around mid use however as suggested in the handbook, only when buying new ones. I have done this for years and never had an issue.

I would also never use Kwik fit even if they were offering their services for free! They said X Y and Z needed doing to my brothers Ford. I told him to take it to a more local trusted garage and they said "nope, all fine". The work Kiwkfit wanted to do would have cost £600!
2019 Renault Megane RS 300
2012 Micra 1.2 DIG-S Acenta
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 1:57pm
Chris - I deleted my original comment as I completely miss read your original post, and posted the one above! I thought you were talking about rotating all 4 mid use, not at replacement!

Also had not spotted it was a year old as it was still quite high up in the forum area!!

Edited by SplanK - 13 Mar 2015 at 1:58pm
2019 Renault Megane RS 300
2012 Micra 1.2 DIG-S Acenta
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by SplanK SplanK wrote:

Chris - I deleted my original comment as I completely miss read your original post, and posted the one above! I thought you were talking about rotating all 4 mid use, not at replacement!

I was talking about swapping them mid use...
All 4 had been replaced at the same time, then after a year the fronts were a third worn and the back almost new, so I swapped them around. A year later they're both around 50% worn.   

If I hadn't swapped them mid-use I think the fronts would need replacing by now.
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 2:14pm
I do as SplanK says, new tyres go on back, old rears on front.

When I'm coming close to getting a new set of tyres, I'll admit to being a bit more vigorous with my driving to use up any remaining tread on the front ;-)
2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 12:28pm
My view on this is that its prudent to rotate the tyres if only intending to keep the car for a couple of years or so.  The new owner will still have 4 legal tyres.

I generally keep my cars in the family for 10yrs+ so only replace tyres as they become worn, this spreads the cost and avoids having to replace all 4 at same time if rotated.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Abh29 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abh29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 9:10am
It seems that with more options now on the market for QQ tyres it is best to rotate to ensure all 4 wear out together. This gives the option of fitting a complete set of whatever make you wish while keeping a matched set of tyres. We do this when changing from Winters -Summers.
This has been done with BMW for years to enable a switch over from Run on Flat to conventional tyres, although the new RoF are getting very good.
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic